Skip to Main Content


Q:  Where is the Sheriff’s Department located?

A:  As of January 1, 2021; our location has moved. We are now located at 84 Arnhart Street, Ash Flat, AR. 72513. Our telephone number is (870) 994-7356.

Q:  Where is the Sharp County Jail?

A:  The County Jail is located at 84 Arnhart Street, Ash Flat, AR. 72513.  The telephone number is (870) 994-7329.

Q:  What is the Sheriff’s Department E-mail address?

A:  Our E-mail address is  Your mail will then be forwarded to the proper person.  This site is not monitored 24 hours a day.

Q:  How do I obtain a copy of an accident or incident report?

A:  If the report was taken by a county office, it will be on file at the jail.  You may come to the Sheriff’s Office or the front desk at the jail.  There will be $10.00 charged for each report.  You may only obtain reports Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 4:00PM.  If the report was taken by a City Officer, you must obtain the report from that Police Department.  If the report was taken by an Arkansas State Police Officer, you must obtain your report from Troop Headquarters.  The State Police can be contacted at (870) 523-2701.  They also charge $10.00 for each report.

Q:  I received a traffic ticket, where can I pay it?

A:  You may pay any ticket at the District Court Clerk’s Office located next to the Sharp County Jail.  All tickets must be paid Monday - Friday between 8:00 AM and 4:00 PM.  You may mail the payment to the District Court Clerk at P. O. Box 2 Ash Flat, AR. 72513  You may pay by cash at the office or mail a check or money order.  Be sure to list your ticket number or return your copy with payment.

Q:  Is there a phone number I can call for road conditions during winter or bad weather?

A:  Yes.  The Arkansas Highway and Transportation Dept. operates a road condition hotline at 1-800-245-1672.

Q:  Do you have copies of the driver’s license test manuals?

A:  Yes you may pick one up at the front desk of the jail, Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM.

Q:  When can I take a driving test?

A:  Monday and Wednesday, from 9:00 AM until 3:00PM with a lunch break.  Written tests are normally given first, then driving.  You must have two forms of identification, including a birth certificate.  Go to the new courtroom adjoining the Sheriff’s Office, in Ash Flat.

Q:  What about a commercial driver’s license?

A:  Call 870-523-4849 for that information.

Q:  I know who a suspect in a crime is or any other crime information.  Do you have a telephone number where I can call in a tip?

A:  Yes, call 870 994-7356, between 8:00 AM and 4:00 PM.  You may remain anonymous.

Q:  How do I report child abuse or neglect?

A:  If the situation is an emergency, dial 911.  Otherwise, if you suspect that a child is being abused or neglected, call the child abuse and neglect hotline at 1-800-482-5964.

Q:  What is the purpose of the Most Wanted program?

A:  The purpose is to solicit leads from the public on persons wanted on felony warrants.  We recognize the value of public assistance.

Q:  What criteria decides who goes on the Most Wanted list?

A:  The person must be charged with a felony warrant and the charge must be for a violent crime, narcotics, crime against property, or any other crime of a serious nature.  Pick-up orders for non-payment of child support my be placed on the list.  The list is not ranked and the number of persons on the list varies by circumstances.

Q:  I purchased a new vehicle, when do I have to get a license plate?

A:  Arkansas law requires that you license the vehicle within 30 days of the purchase date.

Q:  What about liability insurance on my vehicle?

A:  Arkansas law requires any motor vehicle driven on public roadways be covered by liability insurance and proof of that must be carried in the vehicle at all times.  This requirement means before you move it from where you purchased it.

Q:  May I discharge a firearm with in the city limits of Ash Flat?

A:  No, discharging a firearm within the city limits of Ash Flat or any other city within the county is prohibited by ordinance.

Q:  May I discharge fireworks within the city limits?

A:  You will need to contact each city hall for their ordinances on that subject.

Q:  Am I required to have address numbers on my house or business?

A:  Yes, prominent display of numbers is required for emergency services in the cities and the county.

Q:  What are the requirements of the seat belt law?

A:  All persons in the front seat are required to wear a seatbelt.  All persons under the age of 15 are required to buckle up in the back seat, also.

Q:  What are the safety requirements for children in vehicles?

A:  Arkansas law requires children under six years of age and weighing less than sixty pounds to be seated in child safety seats.  If the child weighs at least sixty pounds or is between six and fifteen years old, the child must wear a seat belt.

Q:  May a child ride in the back of a pickup truck?

A:  No.  (see above law)

Q:  I’m thinking about tinting the windows on my vehicle, what are the legal requirements?

A:  There are certain legal specifications in tinting your vehicle’s windows in accordance with state statutes.  The front driver’s side window and front passenger window tint must be at least 25% net light transmission or higher.  The side windows behind the driver and the rear window tint must be at least 10% net light transmission or higher.  You may place a strip of tinting material on the windshield but it may extend only five inches down from the top.

Q:  How can I find out if there are any registered sex offenders living in my neighborhood?

A:  You can check the sex offender registry by going to  and clicking on sex offenders’ registry tab.

Q:  How do I get an Order of Protection?

A:  Orders of Protection are issued by the SACS office 870 994-2551, and the location is at the Methodist Church, on Church Street, Ash Flat, across from the Ash Flat Post Office.  These only apply to family members or members of a household.  You may have to seek a restraining order through an attorney if you do not fit that criteria.

Q:  BODY ATTACHMENTS-What does this mean?

A:  Body Attachments are court orders usually issued in child support enforcement actions. They are very similiar to warrants of arrest that are issued in criminal cases.

A Body Attachment orders and directs law enforcement officers to seize the body of the person named in the order and hold that person in custody pending further orders of the court.

Most Body Attachments (but not all) will have language indicating that the person can be released from custody if a prescribed cash amount is paid to secure his release. This amount may or may not equal the total of delinquent child support payments. Other Body Attachments will require the person to remain in custody until brought before the Judge who issued the order. Body Attachments can be served in any part of the State, just as arrest warrants can.

Any monies that the Sheriff's Office collects from Body Attachment actions will be held and distributed as later directed by the court or as prescribed under the law.

Q:  CHILD SAFETY SEAT-At what age does my child have to be in a child safety or booster seat?

A:  Arkansas Law requires that a child under six (6) years of age or sixty (60) pounds, be restrained in a child passenger seat properly secured to the vehicle. Any child over six (6) and under fifteen (15) years of age must be secured in a seatbelt.


A:  Criminal Background Checks - General: The Sheriff's Office may provide certain information to the public that is available for public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act. This would include information from the Sheriff's Office Records Management System on Incident/Offense Reports, Accident Reports, Jail Booking Records, Warrant Records, Civil Process Records, Citations, and Dispatch Logs/Complaint Cards. Exceptions would be for records relating to active/ongoing investigations, certain personnel records, records that have been sealed/expunged by court order, and records involving juvenile offenders or juvenile suspects. There are nominal fees associated with processing these requests. The Sheriff's Office is prohibited by law from providing criminal history or background information of any kind from the Arkansas Crime Information Center database or the National Crime Information Center database. In addition, we cannot provide information relating to records maintained by any other law enforcement agency. You would need to contact those agencies directly for information from their records.

The Arkansas State Police Identification Bureau in Little Rock can provide a more thorough criminal history check that encompasses all jurisdictions in Arkansas. Information on their procedures can be found on the Arkansas State Police web site at

Q:  EVICTION-How do I evict someone or have them evicted?

A:  Eviction Procedures: In cooperation with the Prosecuting Attorney’s Office, we have established specific protocols we use in handling eviction procedures for persons who have failed or refused to pay rent. While there may be other reasons for a landlord or property owner wanting to evict a tenant, the ONLY circumstances that the Sheriff’s Office can become involved in under the law is Eviction for Non-Payment of rent. All other types of evictions for all other reasons must be handled through an attorney in civil court. For cases of non-payment of rent, the renter/tenant must be served in person either by the landlord or by a Sheriff’s Deputy ($25.00 charge) with an Eviction Notice. This notice will give the renter/tenant ten (10) days from the day of service to vacate the premises. If this does not occur, a Sheriff’s Deputy will be assigned to issue the renter/tenant a Citation to Appear in District Court for the criminal offense of Failure to Vacate/Failure to Pay Rent, which is a misdemeanor. Any further proceedings would be only by direction of the District Court Judge.

Q:  FINGERPRINTS - How can I be fingerprinted for work/job purposes?

A:  Fingerprints: The Sheriff’s Office will fingerprint persons upon request as part of pre-employment criminal history background checks. We do NOT fingerprint on Mondays or Thursdays, but should be able to on other weekdays during normal office hours. If a deputy is not in the office, the person may be sent over to the Detention Center to be printed. We do not fingerprint after office hours or during weekends or holidays.

Q:  MISSING PERSONS - How and under what conditions can I report someone missing?

A:  Missing Person reports are separated into two general categories:

Missing/Runaway Juveniles: The parent or guardian of any juvenile (under 18 years of age) may file a missing person-runaway juvenile report at any time. These reports will be immediately entered into the NCIC/ACIC law enforcement database, which would serve to alert any officer from any jurisdiction having contact with the juvenile that he or she is listed as missing or a runaway. Radio notification will be made to all officers on duty. Deputies will also follow-up on any leads provided by the parent/guardian as to the possible location of the juvenile.

Missing Adults: Any person eighteen (18) years of age or older is considered to be an adult with full freedom of movement and liberty. Exceptions would include persons 18 years of age or older who remain under the legal guardianship of another adult or protective services. Deputies will take reports of missing adults at any time. The extent of any follow-up will depend upon the circumstances of the disappearance. For example, if evidence indicated that the missing person was endangered or may have been forcibly abducted, deputies would immediately begin follow-up on leads. If the missing person simply has not been seen recently but no evidence of foul play was found to exist, then our options and responsibilities in those cases are limited under the law and department policy.

Q:  POLICE REPORTS-How do I get a copy?

A:  Obtaining Copies of Reports and Records: Most Sheriff’s Office records are public information under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act and are available for public viewing, and for copying for a nominal fee. There are several exceptions to this, including specifically reports and paperwork relating to criminal cases remaining open and under investigation, certain personnel records, records sealed/expunged by court order, and records relating to juveniles (under 18 years of age). We will not compile statistical or comparative data for individuals, nor will Administration Staff offer comment on reports or documents prepared and filed by individual deputies.

Accident Reports: Patrol Deputies prepare traffic accident reports on accidents they have investigated on county roads. These reports are filed with clerical staff within five (5) days of the date of the accident. There is a nominal fee for copies of these reports. Although deputies frequently arrive at accident scenes on Arkansas State Highways and U. S. Highways to assist the State Police, the deputy will generally not investigate the accident himself. That is the responsibility of the State Police under the law. Reports from those accidents are filed with the Arkansas State Police Headquarters, and they are not available from the Sheriff’s Office.

Q:  PROTECTION ORDERS-How do I get one and when do they go into effect?

Orders issued by the Circuit Court to protect victims in Domestic Violence situations.
To be eligible, the victim must have been in a “Domestic Type Relationship” with the offender, within the definition of the law. The definition includes married people, people related within the 4th degree of consanguinity, people who have lived together, had a child together, or have been in a dating relationship. Parents or advocates may also obtain, or assist in obtaining, Orders of Protection on behalf of others in some circumstances.

Application/Petition forms to obtain Orders of Protection are available at the Circuit Clerk’s Office. The Clerk may assist applicants in filling out the forms.

There are no costs associated with this order, no filing fees, no service fees.

The completed application form is presented to a Circuit Judge for review.

The victim/applicant may have to answer questions from the Judge before he decides whether or not to issue the order. There must be sufficient grounds to issue the order.
If the application is approved, the Circuit Judge will issue an Ex Parte (Temporary) Order of Protection. This Order will be delivered to the Sheriff’s Office to be served on the offender. The Order has no validity and cannot be enforced until and unless the offender has been served with the Order.

When the offender is served, the Order will specify a court hearing date and time. The offender may appear to challenge the Order at that time.

At the time of the hearing, the Judge may make the order permanent (up to 10 years), may modify the provisions of the order, or may drop or terminate the temporary order.

The order may award temporary custody of children or dependents to the applicant/victim, may order spousal support, may award temporary possession of a residence or personal property, and may prevent the offender from having any contact with the victim, the victim’s children, family, or etc.

Any person who violates any provision of the Order of Protection has committed a crime, specifically a Class A Misdemeanor, the punishment for which is up to a $1,000 fine and/or up to one (1) year in jail. The Judge issuing the Order can also punish for Contempt of Court.

Officers may make an arrest without a warrant if there is probable cause to believe the Order of Protection has been violated or broken by the offender.

Mutual (two-way) Orders of Protection are not permitted, however the parties involved may obtain separate Order of Protection against one another if grounds exist to convince a Judge to grant them.

Victims of Domestic Violence are encouraged to apply for Orders of Protection, because it is a crime to violate them. This gives law enforcement much great authority to enforce the provisions of these orders and results in a new charge being filed. The same cannot be said for violating other kinds of orders.

These are civil court orders generally issued in divorce cases.
There are filing fees and service fees involved, and the services of attorney are generally required to obtain a Restraining Order.

A person who defies the provisions of a Restraining Order has not committed a criminal offense. The remedy for violating a Restraining Order is to petition the court to hold the offender/violator in Contempt of Court, the punishment for which is generally a small civil fine.

Restraining Orders are generally ineffective in Domestic Violence cases because they have no real teeth to them.

Any person taken into custody for a criminal offense resulting from a Domestic Violence incident will generally be issued a standing No Contact Order at the time of his or her release from custody. This order is issued as a condition of bail or condition of release.

The order remains in effect until lifted or terminated by a Judge, but can generally be valid for no more than two (2) years.

A person who violates a No Contact Order has not committed a crime, rather he or she has violated the conditions of bail or release and can be taken back into custody by the officer until appearing in person before a Judge. The bail is basically revoked.

The Sheriff’s Office has pre-printed information available on how to obtain Orders of Protection, how to obtain the services of a victim’s advocate, and how to obtain the services of a shelter. Any deputy will be glad to provide these materials or try to answer any questions about the Sheriff’s Office procedures in responding to and investigating incidents of Domestic Violence.

Q:  WARRANT OF ARREST-How do I find out if I have a warrant for my arrest? What do I do if I have one?

A:  The Sheriff's Office maintains thousands of Warrants of Arrest issued by the District Court and Circuit Court. All of these warrants constitute public records under the Freedom of Information Act. Any person can obtain information on arrest warrants pertaining to himself or herself or any other person by placing phone call to the Sheriff's Office. Such information as the date of the warrant, charge(s)specified on the warrant, bond amount, and issuing court can be provided.

Many arrest warrants are served by deputies working in the field, either during vehicle stops or by visiting the last known home address or work address of the person named in the warrant. Other warrants are served when people voluntarily surrender themselves to the Sheriff's Office after learning a warrant exists for their arrest.

Most warrants will have a bond specified by the court that a person in custody is required to post before being released. Other warrants are "No Bond" warrants, and the person must remain in custody until appearing before a Judge for further proceedings.

On those warrants that have a bond amount specified, the Sheriff's Office will accept either cash for the bond or a surety bond issued by a professional licensed bail bonding company. The Sheriff's Office generally will not accept or approve an O/R Bond (release on own recognizance) or a property bond.

Misdemeanor arrest warrants may be served anywhere in the State of Arkansas. Felony arrest warrants are extraditable from anywhere within the United States. The Sheriff's Office is very aggressive in serving arrest warrants, and extradition will generally be authorized whenever we are notified a person is in custody in another jurisdiction on a Sharp County warrant.

Any person wanting information about an arrest warrant or how to take care of an active warrant should contact the Sheriff's Office. We will make every effort to make a reasonable accommodation to allow the person satisfy the warrant within the boundaries of the law and department policy.

Q:  SEX OFFENDERS-What are the different levels and what do they mean?

A:  Convicted Sex Offenders are required by law to register with law enforcement. The Sharp County Sheriff's Office is the law enforcement agency that handles the registration process of all Sex Offenders who reside in Sharp County.

There are four (4) levels of Sex Offenders under Arkansas Law. The levels represent the likelihood the Offender will re-offend.

Level 1 - Least likely to re-offend
Level 2 - Moderate risk to re-offend
Level 3 - High Risk to re-offend
Level 4 - Sexually Violent Predator

A convicted Sex Offender, who is assigned a risk level of 1, 2, or 3, is required to come in to the Sheriff's Office every 6 months to re-register. A level 4 Sex Offender is required to come in every 3 months to re-register.

When a Sex Offender moves into the State of Arkansas, they are required to be evaluated before they are assigned a risk level. This process sometimes will take several months before the State assigns a risk level. Law Enforcement is not allowed to notify the public UNTIL a risk level has been assigned by the State of Arkansas.

Q:  SEX OFFENDERS-What or who determines which sex offenders go on the website?

A:  The Sharp County Sheriff’s Office is responsible for notifying the public of where Registered Sex Offenders live. Under Arkansas Law, we are only allowed to do public notification for Level 3 and Level 4 Sex Offenders. In 2007, a law was passed allowing us to do public notification on Level 2 Sex Offenders IF the Sex Offender was 18 years of age or older and the Victim was age 14 or under when the crime was committed.

In addition to posting the information on the website, we also do door to door notification within an area surrounding the residence of the Sex Offender. Officers use flyers showing the Offender’s picture and information about their crime, and go door to door notifying the neighbors of who the Sex Offender is and where they live.

It is the belief of the Sharp County Sheriff’s Office, that an informed public is a safer public. We will continue to do everything in our power to protect our children and our community.